Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Make Art That Sells, final reviews!

I have been finished with Make Art That Sells part B for weeks now! Weeks! It was such an intense 5 week session, but in the best way possible.  I found myself more worn out this time and it took me longer to recover after.  We can blame it on age 30 settling on in (hahah).  Really, I think the reason is I understood the process and schedule better since I completed part A, so there was no more the adrenaline rush of the unknown.  Also, I didn't think it was possible to work myself harder than I did in part A but I DID! I worked 150% and it felt great to be that absorbed by something I love so much.

All in all, I can speak highly enough of the class.  Lilla reviews work in her video critiques and because of the large amount of students, she can just select some.  Susan McCabe, an agent on Lilla's team, did a guest review during week 4 and my piece was in her selection.  I was OVER THE MOON. I'm still over the moon.  I had not been chosen before, and I was ok with that.  Of course I wanted to be, but I was able to listen to the critiques and take bits and pieces and apply them to my own work.  


Above is my Week 4 piece completed.  It was an editorial assignment of a map of your town.  My town is New York City but I didn't want to go about it the traditional Empire State Building kinda way.  Instead, I logged caffeine! This piece challenged me more than any other piece.  It is the one I am most proud of accomplishing within the few day deadline, so having it be chosen to discuss made it that more special! 

Week 5 drew from Ukrainian Folk Art inspiration and at first I was like uhh..whhhhaaaaatttt? And then I was all like, OMG I LOVE THIS.  I am still shocked at how inspiring I found this form of art.  We had to complete a paper party good set and I had an absolute blast with it.  I pushed my color choices a lot.  I loved breaking down icons into simple shapes and filling them up with other shapes.  I loved scale and composition play.  I just, well, loved!!! (click to enlarge)


Lilla did choose mine in her video critique.  Her positive words about it were so so so encouraging, and she said she wanted to see more cats! I can happily share that more cats are in progress as I type.  Well not literally as I type, because my hands are busy, but you know what I mean.   I look forward to sharing them soon.  I am also working on a piece for an upcoming conference based on Snow White and I am using Ukrainian folk art as the inspiration for that piece as well. 

I also am so pleased to share that Make Art That Sells is a course about licensing artwork, and upon ending the second session I was approached to license artwork for greeting cards.  I can't wait to share that with you in 2014, when they'll be on shelves!!!!! 

No comments: