Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Back To School- Week 2!


When I saw that the second week of Make Art That Sells was going to involve "odd pods" I almost fell over as succulents are most definitely odd AND are among my favorite things in the world.  Early in 2013 I decided I was going to collage one succulent a month and then at the end of the year I'd have enough to make a garden. Yeah…well I made NONE untillllll this week! The class is formatted so that on Mondays & Tuesdays we are working on developing art that will be flushed out in the assignment given on Wednesdays.  


I let myself experiment here. The assignment was to design a plate collection (2-4 coordinating pieces) and I've never designed plates before so this was something new for me. I really enjoyed the whole round format thing that comes with plates.  I knew I didn't want it to look traditional and I knew I wanted a funkier approach that utilizes my collage technique in a slightly different way.  I worked for hours and am so happy with the results.  It helped that Tristan and I have 2 windowsills dedicated to succulents in our apartment, so reference was never far away.  


Probably the coolest thing for me so far about the course is that I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.  I was on a phone call for about an hour during the week, and throughout the call doodled this leaf like design.  As soon as I was done with my call I plopped it on the scanner and used It as part of my collage. You can see it here, on the dessert plate that is part of my collection: 


Here is the final grouping I made in the end.  I got so into it that I had to see it on a bowl and mug as well.  The submission requirements were only one plate though, so the watering can option was posted to the classes Flickr group.


So so so so looking forward to week 3! 

No comments: