Monday, February 11, 2013

Illustration Friday- Storm


Last weekend was the SCBWI Winter Conference, and while I was there I spent a lot of time with my handy dandy portfolio. As I flipped the pages back and forth, I realized one image just wasn't right. I created this piece (below) a few years ago while taking a collage class at the School of Visual Arts.


At the time I was just falling into my collage groove and experimenting a lot. Now looking at it, I was able to see some elements that I really did like and some that needed a big-time edit. I also had a portfolio review recently by Art Director Giuseppe Castellano where I was told I should try some pieces with limited color palettes. J'adore color and that is apparent through almost everything I create (and wear) but I like a challenge and thought working with a limit would be a good exercise. Combine all of that with the fact that this week's Illustration Friday topic was "storm" and a new piece was born.

I scanned in a doodle of the start of an ice skater that I drew while at the conference. From there I pulled elements from the old piece that I liked and brought them into the new piece. What was formerly the background is now taken apart and split into the floor and the sky.




I've also learned that working in a limited palette is similar to working in black and white, so I turned the piece to grayscale a few times along the way to figure out if I was playing with enough contrast.


I work in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator and go back and forth between the two about a zillion times before a piece is done. I draw all fine line details in Illustrator and create all textured fills in photoshop.  This is probably an overcomplicated way of working, but it works for me.


The finished piece is the one at the tippity top of this post.  What I like about it is that it includes my favorite elements from the original, but definitely fits in with my current aesthetic.  I'm a sucker for a scalloped edge and some glitter.  Hope you enjoyed a little peek into my process! 

2 comments:

Dee said...

Margot, you are one talented young woman! No matter where your talents land you, I hope it's in a place where lots of people will have the opportunity to view it, as it's just so engaging, colorful & fun.

Love, love, love the Ice Skater!

Dee said...

Margot, you are one talented young woman! No matter where your talents land you, I hope it's in a place where lots of people will have the opportunity to view it, as it's just so engaging, colorful & fun.

Love, love, love the Ice Skater!