Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo

I love Frida Kahlo. I've always loved Frida Kahlo. My mom was an art teacher during my childhood, and was THE BEST at exposing my sister and I to every museum possible at a really young age. Frida became the subject of all my women's history book reports and everything and anything having to do with art history.  I even made a pop up book at some point for a school project (note to self, try to find that)!

Anywhooooo, somewhere out there in blog-o-sphere, a few months back, I came across this gorgeous cover and was PSYCHED! A  historical fiction novel about Frida!!!! Anyway, lucky for me it hit paperback in time for my honeymoon, and I read it pool and beach side in Aruba. I loved every page of it, especially how recipes were worked into the novel.  I recommend this book to all the Frida fans out there. I think if you're not a Frida fan, you might still like it, but it's definitely the bits and pieces of her real life moments that make their way into her artwork that make it interesting.

Learn more about The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13544788-the-secret-book-of-frida-kahlo

1 comment:

Lily Darger said...

I'm a huge Frida fan! Have you read The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver? Frida is a supporting lead character along with Diego and Trotsky. The main character is her cook. It's a great story.