Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A New York Icon


“I live in New York City. I could never live anywhere else. The events of September 11 forced me to confront the fact that no matter what, I live here and always will. One of my favorite things about New York is that you can pick up the phone and order anything and someone will deliver it to you. Once I lived for a year in another city, and almost every waking hour of my life was spent going to stores, buying things, loading them into the car, bringing them home, unloading them, and carrying them into the house. How anyone gets anything done in these places is a mystery to me.” 
~Nora Ephron, I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman

Nora Ephron died  yesterday, of Leukemia, at the age of 71. She is the icon and inspiration of a New York woman in my head- smart, funny, honest and successful.  Even though I never knew her, I will miss her. 
You've Got Mail is a particularly special movie to me. I live on the Upper West Side, the section of the city that acts as the set of the film and in a way, a character itself.  My last apartment was down the block from the iconic café where Meg Ryan's character thinks she is being stood up.  I thought of the movie every day, when I walked past it on my way home.  My good friend moved across the country to live on the Upper West Side specifically because of this movie. When people come to visit her it town, she gives them a You've Got Mail tour pointing out all the sites.  Another friend knew she had a keeper when she met her now-husband, who named You've Got Mail as his favorite film.  

In her book I Remember Nothing, about aging she put together this list, and It sums up her work so very well…
What I Will Miss
My kids · Nick · Spring · Fall · Waffles · The concept of waffles · Bacon · A walk in the park · The idea of a walk in the park · The park · Shakespeare in the Park · The bed · Reading in bed · Fireworks · Laughs · The view out the window · Twinkle lights · Butter · Dinner at home just the two of us · Dinner with friends · Dinner with friends in cities where none of us lives · Paris · Next year in Istanbul · Pride and Prejudice · The Christmas tree · Thanksgiving dinner · One for the table · The dogwood · Taking a bath · Coming over the bridge to Manhattan · Pie


What I Won’t Miss
Dry skin · Bad dinners like the one we went to last night · E-mail · Technology in general · My closet · Washing my hair · Bras · Funerals · Illness everywhere · Polls that show that 32 percent of the American people believe in creationism · Polls · Fox · The collapse of the dollar · Joe Lieberman · Clarence Thomas · Bar mitzvahs · Mammograms · Dead flowers · The sound of the vacuum cleaner · Bills · E-mail. I know I already said it, but I want to emphasize it. · Small print · Panels on Women in Film · Taking off makeup every night


And a nice little piece about her life can be seen here:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/47974840#47974840

1 comment:

Carrie Rosalind said...

So sad to hear about this, but I love reading the things you picked to share about her. I love You've Got Mail. <3