Wednesday, November 2, 2011

under the tuscan collage!

When I was a junior in college I was in a painting class and asked my professor if I could do something besides paint for my project. He asked what I wanted to do, and I said, collage. His answer was, "WELL OF COURSE you can do collage margot, you're not a painter. You're a collage artist. Your brain works like a collage artist." My professor was the amazing Bob Dacey- click HERE to see some of his work. Until this point I had not done collage, I had tried pretty much everything but. I ended up making a portrait of a locksmith, complete with 3D keys and all. I don't have it or an image of it anywhere handy, and I'd probably gag if I saw it because my style has changed A LOT but the point is, you never know what you're going to like until you try!
Which brings me to a few months ago when my sister-and-brother-in-law-to-be asked me to do some sort of Tuscany related painting on a canvas they had.
So naturally, I collaged!
Here are some photos of the piece in progress, the last one is the final product.
The photo is a photoshop'd enlarged version of a photo they took on their recent trip to Italy.





It now hangs in their bedroom, so they literally lay under the Tuscan collage!