Tuesday, November 16, 2010

on dreamcatching...& sculpting :-)

Pretty much everyone who knows me knows who my favorite artist is...Liz Lomax. For the past (almost)6 years she has been an incredible friend, support & mentor to me and a few months ago got the most amazing commission on the planet...to create larger than life sized heads representing food network stars for the holiday windows at Barney's. Barney's is known for having the most amazing windows of any NYC department store, and I couldn't have been more excited and proud of Liz! (she deserves it, she's kinda awesome)
and my excitement reached an absolute new level whennnnnn....she asked me to help out!
being able to be a part of this has been so incredible. I can't thank her enough for the opportunity and will now share some amazing behind the scene pics...
this is Liz making Paula Deen...

and a finished paula deen with an almost done barefoot contessa!

below is amy (amy came in from texax to help liz for a month. she's amazing, so talented & when her website is up I'll tell you all it!! Hi amy!!!) & liz with a started emeril and guy fieri!!

this is my family & liz with a started anthony bourdain & bobby flay!! LOOK HOW BIG THEY ARE!

and a few random photos of liz's process...







When you're in your 20's and just trying to get by coming across someone like Liz can really change your life. I speak from an art student point of view, but really it applies to everything. That's the age where you're sorting our your career, etc and sometimes...lots of times...people turn away from what they truly love to do because it isn't "practical" or "traditional" as far as the job thing goes.
Then someone like Liz stands up in a lecture hall of college students and tells them that it CAN be done...ANYTHING can be done.
Having watched her career grow during our friendship, I know she means it and it gets more inspiring every day.

you can link to her website HERE and her twitter HERE and I can't wait to post more pics after the Barney's party tonight night :-)

and if you're in NYC go see the windows on Madison & 60th!!

9 comments:

Jamie said...

That's so awesome, Margot!!! How exciting!!!!

Caitlin said...

yay,love this post! congrats liz! the pics look amazing, can't wait to see the windows!

RMiller said...

amazing pics!!! Yay Liz!! and great job Amy and Margot!! I am so excited to come home and tell everyone who passes by that I know who made the heads!! lol

Linsey said...

Great post... i feel so excited that i was invited to the studio!!!! I can't wait to see the windows in person!!! Have a gr8 time this evening... remember, i can always come and be momager!! clipboard and bluetooth in tow.... i'm ready!!!!! Go Liz & Team Lomax!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lehua said...

How awesome!! I love that you're involved in so many wonderful projects! Margot is my hero!

echo said...

ahhhhhmazing!!! i can't wait to see the actual windows when i'm back to good ol new york

Janet Carlson said...

Yeah, I'm a fan 'o Liz too!! So glad to see that she will be doing the Barney's windows - can't WAIT to see them!! Congrats, Liz - you rock star, you!!

BrooklynLaurie said...

Margot, congratulations, this is SO COOL! I couldn't agree more about the importance of having a mentor, someone to inspire you and tell you that you can do it, too...because you can! I got my mentor by writing to a person whose work I admired. She has since helped me to shape my career, weighed in with dating advice, and become a real friend. It's just great. And i want one of those heads!

Nicole Callihan said...

This is really wonderful, Margot. You've always been a dream-follower and I've always loved that about you. Keep chasing your heart; it's the best way to live.