Friday, February 22, 2008

wordier than my usual post...but read it! :-)....a new earth...


So I’m reading A New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle- 75% because Oprah told me to, 25% because I’m interested in stuff like that.
Ok, more like 90% Oprah, 10% me- but either way- I’m reading it!
And I have to say, it’s totally amazing amazing beyond amazing and I can’t praise it enough. NOT because it’s a thrilling page-turner read. It’s actually painfully boring (in my opinion) while you’re reading it. But within the words are these sentences that all of a sudden make me stop and think- think deeper than my usual thinking (which I’d like say is fairly deep) and I have what Oprah calls, an “AHA MOMENT”
Now for those for of you out there who don’t know- I adore Oprah. I know half of you are rolling your eyes and the other half have her tivo’d every day (as do I). But here’s the thing- Oprah gives back. BIG TIME. She also spreads literacy, which I respect a ton, and honors people who do good things, and so on and so on and so on. Plus she defines American culture. We eat hot dogs at ball games and we watch Oprah. End of story.
Well, not end….beginning perhaps….
I’m so inspired by one line in particular of the book right now that I’m going to start to do a series of collages “new earth” inspired (see the image at the top of this post)….here’s the line….

“This is when you strive to overcome limitation…through creative action bring something new into this world that is life-enhancing for yourself as well as others…you are present when what you are doing is not primarily a means to an end (money, prestige, winning) but fulfilling in itself, when there is joy and aliveness in what you do. And of course, you cannot be present unless you become friendly with the present moment.”

So, Oprah & Eckhart- if you’re out there reading (OMG- IMAGINE IF OPRAH READ MY BLOG) here I am! Trying trying TRYING to become friendly with the present moment…one collage at a time…

No comments: